Tuesday, February 21, 2012



So i watched a few movies last week. One of them I liked the other I did not mainly because I was forced to go. Anyways I really liked The Grey. This movie seemed pretty good right off the bat. For starters it has Liam Neeson, I don't think I have been disappointed by any of his movies, besides Episode 1 and The Haunting.
So here is a trailer of the film before I go too far into it. It is a red band trailer on Hulu so you might need an account to view it.


Trailer


So the trailer does show a few things, most of the landscape and scenery is dark, light or grey.  I know that is kind of obvious but it adds something that cant be said to the scenes.


So the basis, hmm ok I don't want to spoil it too much so I am gonna keep this part brief. Pretty much some pipeline workers on their way home crash over the wilderness and have to survive.
The trailer shows a lot more. That's one thing I don't like about movie trailers, sometimes they show too much about the movie. One thing they don't show is that the actors actually ate wolf stew to prepare for the film and they used actual wolf carcasses which I think is pretty sweet but then of course Peta had to protest. I think its pretty dumb but whatever they can protest all they want this movie still made over $54 million at the box office.
This movie is based on a short story by one of the producers, Joe Carnahan.


Another reason I like this movie is that it is a complete turn from previous Liam Neeson movies. The New York times review pretty much says the same thing. They use better words though :).

"In “Taken” and “Unknown,” he explored the genre in its fast-moving, super-twisty cosmopolitan thriller mode. Those were glib entertainments improved by their star’s natural gravity. “The Grey,” ... is something else entirely: a stripped-down, elemental tale of survival in brutal circumstances, as blunt and effective — and also, at times, as lyrical — as a tale by Jack London or Ernest Hemingway. It’s a fine, tough little movie, technically assured and brutally efficient, with a simple story that ventures into some profound existential territory without making a big fuss about it."

Here is the complete review if you wanna check it out.


So when I went to go see it I expected a bad ass Liam Neeson action movie. This is not really big on the action. I am not sure who the target audience is or how its supposed to be relevant to today's culture but I did find a negative review of the film I don't agree with it, but if you want to check it out go for it. The complaint about this movie stereotyping wolves doesn't really hold up that well. Its obvious they are not real wolves and its not as if people are gonna kill more wolves because they saw this film.


The movie was a bit long with long lulls with no action. So if you are just looking for action you are gonna be bored. I think that is a big weakness I personally don't mind some character development so it didn't bother me. The use of CGI is pretty obvious but again its not something that really makes the film bad. This wasn't a bad movie for Liam Neeson. I prefer him in Schindler's List but that's a whole different subject. He was also good in Taken. I liked it so I have recommended it to some friends. I don't think I am going to buy it not because I don't think its worth the money, it does have replay value; but because I can find it online. 
Anyways go watch it.


No comments:

Post a Comment